A Blog from CBL Data Recovery
A Day Without Data is Like a Day Without Sunshine
Aug 22, 02:02 PM
Floridians would agree that Fay’s departure is long overdue. Her visit to the Sunshine State has been accompanied by horrific gale-force winds and record rainfall. In fact, Bloomberg News reported in an article that Fay has dumped almost 30 inches (76 centimeters) of rain in some areas, according to the National Hurricane Center.
So as residents of East Central Florida nervously await Fay’s departure, flood damage will no doubt occur.
So, what can people in the Sunshine State, as well neighbouring states where Fay threatens to visit next, do to prevent the loss of data on their computers as a result of her showing off?
Well, if you’re one of the unfortunate individuals who may be forced to evacuate your home but still have time as well as power, backup your computer files to a CD, DVD, or an external hard drive and take it with you. It would also be a wise move to remove the hard drive from your PC if you are comfortable with venturing inside your computer’s external case.
However, if you were forced to flee rising flood waters which have since receded and did not have the opportunity to backup your data on your now water-damaged computer, please take note:
• DO NOT assume that the files on your computer are lost;
• DO NOT attempt to use or power on flood-damaged devices;
• DO NOT open water-damaged media;
• DO NOT expose water-damaged media to heat for the purpose of drying it;
• DO NOT attempt to clean the media;
• DO NOT place water-logged media inside your freezer; and lastly;
• DO NOT agitate the hardware in an attempt to rid it of water.
Files on flood-damaged laptops, PCs, and servers can be recovered. Even priceless photographs on your digital camera are recoverable if the media has not experienced physical damage.
Rob Dwyer, Manager of CBL Data Recovery’s Atlanta laboratory recommends that flood victims, whether they be an individual with a PC or laptop at home OR a business owner with a server,
• Remove the damaged hard drive from the computer or memory card from their camera.
• Place media in an air-tight plastic bag to prevent it from drying.
• Pack media in a box twice its size using foam, bubble wrap or anti-shock material to prevent movement.
• Send one drive per box, and
• Ship to CBL’s Atlanta lab overnight located at:
CBL Data Recovery Technologies Inc.
2250 Satellite Boulevard, Suite 155
Duluth, Georgia 30097
After all, in the world we now live, play and learn, a day without data is like a day without sunshine.
Category: helpful hints, data loss prevention
Tags: backup, damaged hard drive, data loss, digital memories, digital photograph recovery, digital photo recovery, digital photos, east central florida, fay, florida, record rainfall, sunshine state, tropical storm fay